What We Do

A curated list of services.

Just a few of the services the AA offers you!

Everything you need to get you moving, keep you moving and move you forward.

  • We fix 95% of cars on the spot.
  • We don’t cover your car, we cover you. So no matter what car you breakdown in, we’ll come rescue you with our breakdown assistance cover.
  • We get the job done regardless of how long it takes. Our technicians will be there helping you through it all.
  • We provide accident towing – with no hidden costs.
  • We send a technician, not just a tow truck driver.
  • We can provide trusted solutions like a full new battery change if required and not just an unreliable jumpstart.
  • AA Stand By You – Roadside security is so important to us, that we’ll send an armed guard to protect you while you wait.
  • We provide trusted solutions – like a full new battery change if required (and not just an unreliable jumpstart) – that our trusted technicians
    will assist you with.
AA Membership roadside assistance packages

In order to ensure that the AA services that you receive are in line with your needs, the AA offers four roadside assistance packages:

  1. AA Advantage Plus is our premium Membership option. It offers up to 5 call-outs per AA Membership year, and has a host of exclusive benefits, including roadside security (AA Stand By You) and Accident Towing.
  2. AA Advantage allows Members 5 call-outs per AA Membership year, and includes all the core services our Members are likely to need within the course of a given year.
  3. AA Alliance gives Members up to 3 call-outs per AA Membership year, and includes all the core services our Members are likely to need within the course of a given year. It is available exclusively to members over the age of 60.
  4. AA Action is designed specifically for the needs of our younger Members. It offers 2 call-outs per AA Membership year and includes all our core services. AA Action is only available to Members under the age of 26.

All our AA membership options are backed by our promise of exceptional service, trustworthiness and the speediest possible resolution.

An International Driving Permit

An international driving permit (IDP) is a legal document which endorses your South African driver’s license.

In many countries English is not an official language – and the IDP provides the translation of your South African driver’s license into the 5 official UN languages, as well as several additional languages. This allows your license to be read and understood in the various countries to which you may be travelling. It will also assist you in foreign countries when you need to rent a car or obtain insurance while abroad.

It is strongly recommend that you obtain an IDP if you intend using a vehicle abroad.

Where can I get an International Driving Permit?

An IDP may be issued at any Travel Experience store on receipt of the following:

  • Signed and completed application form, which can be obtained in-store.
  • Payment of a permit fee – R295.00 per permit including VAT (as of the 4th of May 2009).
  • Two ID or Passport photographs (which can be taken in-store at a fee). Photos must have a gloss finish.
  • Presentation of a valid South African driver’s license (credit card format) or certified copies of the front and back of the license.
  • Presentation of a valid South African identity document or passport or certified copies of the identification page in the document.
  • Certified copies must be dated and may not be older than 2 months.
Some important points to consider about IDP:

In accordance with South African legislation, an international driving permit can only be issued if the applicant has a valid South African driver’s license (credit card format). The IDP will be issued for a period not exceeding one year (1949 and/or 1926 convention) or three years (1968 convention), and not exceeding the validity period of the South African driver’s license, whichever is earlier.

If the South African driver’s license expires within the next year then the IDP will not be issued for the full period and restrictions on the validity period will apply. As the international driving permit serves as an endorsement of your South African driver’s license, you must always carry your valid South African driver’s licenses – as well as the IDP – with you when you are travelling abroad.

According to the National Road Traffic Act of 1996, a three (3) month grace period is provided if the driver has applied for renewal of his or her SA Driver’s license prior to the local license expiring. This grace period entitles the driver to drive in South Africa only. According to the United Nations Convention Relative to Road Traffic of 1926, 1949 and 1968, signed and agreed to by South Africa, an international driving permit may not be valid or issued after the expiry date of the corresponding domestic license. The AA SA therefore cannot issue an IDP once the driver’s license has expired (including during the three (3) month grace period).

Travel Experience cannot issue an IDP to residents of Botswana, Lesotho and Swaziland who are in the possession of a valid driver’s license issued in the above-mentioned countries. Citizens of Namibia who are in the possession of a valid Namibian driver’s license can contact Travel Experience if they wish to obtain an IDP.

Third-Party Insurance - important when traveling abroad

Third party insurance is compulsory when travelling to both Zimbabwe and Mozambique. To prevent delays when travelling, rather purchase your travel insurance some time before you leave for your trip.

Pre-purchasing the necessary insurance can save you unnecessary delays at the border post – especially during peak hours and during the holiday period. We sell insurance policies that were developed to provide South African registered vehicles entering Mozambique and Zimbabwe with the necessary third party insurance. It provides insurance cover against loss or damage to any third party’s property or bodily injury as a result of the driver’s negligence.

Insurance policies can be purchased at any Travel Experience store.

Please note that the Zimbabwe Revenue Authority announced the implementation of new Third Party insurance policies, effective March 2010. These new policies are also available at the Travel Experience stores.

Document and information needed when applying for third party insurance
  • A copy of the vehicle registration papers.
  • Registration papers of the trailer or caravan if you are towing such an item.
  • Personal details of owner including ID number, name, surname and physical address.
  • Insured driver’s details including id number, name, surname and physical address.
  • Date of entry into Zimbabwe and/or Mozambique.
Comesa Yellow Card Insurance (COMESA): What is it?

COMESA (Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa) insurance, commonly known as the “Yellow Card”, relates to motor vehicle Third Party liability insurance. This insurance covers a vehicle in terms of the legislation relating to compulsory Third Party liabilities in the country to which the vehicle is travelling.

What are the benefits of COMESA insurance?

The AA is the only place in South Africa where travelling motorists can get this required insurance, where previously this insurance could only be purchased at from Zimbabwe and Zambia. Instead of purchasing the Traditional third party insurance at each country’s border post. COMESA insurance is a single insurance that covers numerous African countries.

COMESA currently applies in these countries:

Burundi, Djibouti, Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

How do i apply for third party insurance
  • You will need to complete an application form.
  • The application form must be completed, together with the copy of the vehicle registration papers and/or copy of trailer/caravan registration papers.

Explore Southern Africa by Road

Road travel through Southern Africa can be a wonderful experience – however, to stay safe you should be aware of all the relevant regulations and precautions involved in travel through Africa by road. Some countries have specific regulations regarding the movement of vehicles across borders, and this often involves paperwork that should be planned well in advance.

Everything you need to know about the documentation required when crossing borders is available on the AA South Africa’s website in this cross-border information document.

Before leaving on road travel trip, there are some elements that need to be remembered and include travel insurance,a visit to travel clinic, and the Carnet de Passage
  • The Carnet de Passage. This is an essential item for motoring tourists, and covers the temporary admission of motor vehicles into neighbouring countries
  • International driving permit. This is not compulsory, but is advisable when taking a road travel trip
  • Travel Insurance. Ensure that you’re covered against any unforeseen medical expenses by purchasing travel insurance before leaving on your tour.
  • Vehicle maintenance and suitability – always ensure that your vehicle is suitable for traversing the continent.
  • Health issues are also an extremely important and shouldn’t be taken lightly, especially when going into malaria zones. Taking the necessary preventative medication before your trip is vital, as is a trip to your nearest travel clinic. Contact Netcare travel clinics for more information or visitwww.travelclinic.co.za
  • Third Party Insurance is compulsory for all countries in Africa, with the exception of Namibia, Lesotho and Swaziland.
  • And finally, ensure that your passport, visa and money matters are in order before leaving home.

Our Travel Experience stores have a wide range of travel accessories and essential items, including relevant ZA stickers for your car; Mozambique trailer signs and documentation for your trip across the border; as well as accurate maps and other useful publications.

Other Downloads

Crossborder Information | Download